Thursday, December 17, 2015

A Moment of Silence for a Dearly Beloved

 
I quit smoking cigarettes about 2 years ago.  I thoroughly enjoyed smoking and quit only because my friends and family became so irritating about the habit that something had to give.  I briefly contemplated running away, but considering the condition of my lungs, I wouldn't have made it very far. 
 
A friend of mine had been fighting the same battle and was introduced to vapor pens by her son.  She hadn't had a cigarette for many months.  When she wouldn't ride with me in my car because of the cigarette stink, I figured it was time to try some vape.
 
My husband got a Z Max (I think that's what it was called) for my mom and me for Christmas.  After about 3 months of smoking and vaping, I was able to completely put those ol' stinky cancer sticks down!
The first vape pen crapped out about 6 months in.  I felt like I was always battling with it-filling it up, changing the atomizers, checking the battery, inadvertently pressing a button and changing some setting, etc.  When I went to get another one, I wanted something easy and small and girly.  I found  easy, but small and girly was impossible. 
The one that met my easy requirement was a Tesla something or other.   It was huge.  And silver. And non-girly.  It was in my price range so I brought it home.   
It worked perfectly and felt good to hold.  You know how it feels when you hold a mag light or a well balanced tool? That's how it was.  A well balanced tool. 
 
The family dubbed him Optimus Prime.  He was a good friend.  He was never demanding.  He never complained.  He never criticized or offered a contradictory opinion. He was reliable.  I took him everywhere with me-the movies, the beach, Great Britain, New Mexico, California.  He was well traveled.  He had been my constant companion for more than a year. 
 
Sadly, Optimus bit the dust yesterday.  I pressed his button and there was nothing but cold and silence.  I changed his battery and atomizer and added fresh e-juice, but nothing revived him.  It was a heart-stopping, panic ridden moment.  The sizzle was gone.  I regained control of myself and was able to find a cheap fill-in, but nothing can replace my precious, Optimus Prime.
Please join me in a moment of silence.






 
Rest in peace, dear friend.  You were loved. 
 


No comments: