Monday, August 30, 2010

Galveston

A beach is one of my favorite places to be. It's hot and sticky. There are things that want to bite and sting and it never fails-I always get 'attacked' by a small fish or crab! I wind up with sand in places that, well, places it's just not good to have sand, but I LOVE a beach. The smell, the hot, the sand, the freedom. I am lucky to live within a couple hours drive of the Gulf. Texas beaches may not be the most beautiful in the world, but it's what I have and I am grateful for it!

There's not many things better than a day trip to Galveston on a hot July day. The kids found and captured a tiny jelly fish and were studying it in the bucket:

Hurricane Ike decimated Galveston not even 2 short years ago. Did you know that? Texans have an unsinkable spirit and Galveston was up and running not very long after Ike came to visit. There are few signs of the destruction Ike left.

The kids love going to LA Kings candy store on the Strand. They have all that old time candy-things like WAX LIPS!! This is one of the places hit hard by Ike, but it is re-opened and is still full of charm and sweetness:

No comments: